United States National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
History of Medicine
- Iba Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine and Sciences
- Tijara House, Dodhpur
- Aligarh 202002
- Prof. Syed Zillur Rahman established his personal library-cum-museum in the early 1960s. After founding of 'Ibn Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine & Sciences' in 2000 AD, the personal collection became a part of the Academy. The Academy is a non-political, non-governmental and non-profit organization registered under Indian Trust Act, 1882. It is an accredited organization by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India which also gave status of 'Centre of Excellence'
- The library of the Academy at present houses one of the most precious and valuable collection of over 500 medical manuscripts, 20,000 printed books in many languages like Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Sanskrit, Hindi and English, 15,000 periodicals, hundreds of special magazines, medical conference souvenirs and many specimens of oriental calligraphy on medical sciences and the practice of medicine. Books on the following sections in the Library are worthy to be mentioned: History of Medieval Medicine and Sciences, Unani, Ayurveda & Tibetan Medicine, Greaco-Arab (Unani) Materia Medica and Modern Pharmacology.
- Any person wishing to consult the historical collection can contact through email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Information if feasible will either be provided by e-mail or through surface mail. Visitors may visit the library during office hours. The library provides free and open access to all scholars. SERVICES: Photocopying and reference services are available. Opening hours are from Monday through Saturday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- 500 medicine manuscripts, hundreds of manuscripts' catalogues of both Indian and foreign libraries, hundreds of monographs; 50 serials of current periodicals; microforms; films, videos; medical stamps, photographs and images; archives; medical museum and publications on medieval period like the works of Ibn Sinā, Rhazes, Ibn Rushd, Al-Farabi, etc, including Daur Jadeed Aur Tibb (1963), Tarikh llm Tashrih (1967), Ilmul Amraz (1969), Resalah Judia (1971), Tajdeed Tibb (1972), Bayaz Waheedi (1974), Matab Murtaish (1976), Tazkerah Khandan Azizi (1978), Kitabul Murakkabat (1980), Safvi Ahad Main Ilm Tashreeh Ka Mutala (1983), Hayat Karam Hussain (1983), The Azizi Family of Physicians (1983), Aligarh Key Tibbi Makhtootat (1984), Qanoon Ibn Sina Aur Uskey Shareheen va Mutarjemeen (1986), Risalah Nabidh (1986), Iibb Feroz Shahi (1990), Research in Ilmul Advia (1990), Risalah Atrilal (1993), Studies in Ilmul Advia (1994), Delhi aur Tibb Unani (1995), AI-Advia al-Qalbia (1996), Iran Nama (1998), Tibbi Taqdame (2001), Aina-e Tarikh Tibb (2001), Asmaul Advia (2002), Maqalat Shifaul Mulk Hakim Abdul Latif (2002), Hakim Ajmal Khan (2004), Qanoon Ibn Sina aur us ke Sharehin (2004), Safar Nama Bangladesh (2006), Jawami Kitab Al-Nabdh Al Saghir, (Galen) Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2007), Risalah Fi Al-Niqris,(Qusta b. Luqa), Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2007), Ain Al-Hayat, (Mohammad b. Yousuf Harwi), Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2007), Risalah Nabidh, (Qusta b. Luqa) Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2007), Risalah Fi Firaq Al-Tib, (Galen) Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2008), Risalah Fi Al-'Anasir (Galen) Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2008), Risalah Fi Al-Mizaj (Galen) Arabic text & Urdu Translation (2008), Tazkirah Atibba-e 'Asr (2010), Ross Masood - Life & Works (2010); Newsletter of Ibn Sina Academy (4 issues per year).
- Collection Subject Strengths:
- History of Alternative Medicine; History of Anatomy; History of Cardiology; History of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases; History of Gerontology; History of Hospitals; History of Medical Ethics; History of Medicine; History of Pathology; History of Pharmacology and Pharmacy; History of Public Health; History of the Practice of Medicine; Materia Medica; History of Science
20 February 2014